Scientists at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have shown that a relatively simple and rapid blood test can predict which patients with COVID-19 are at highest risk of severe complications or death. The blood test measures levels of mitochondrial DNA, which normally resides inside the energy factories of cells. Mitochondrial DNA spilling out of cells and into the bloodstream is a sign that a particular type of violent cell death is taking place in the body.
- Farmers in developing countries can protect both profits and endangered species
- Scientists use Doppler to peer inside cells
- New sustainable building simulation method points to the future of design
- Urban Americans more likely to follow covid-19 prevention behaviors than rural Americans
- Signal transduction without signal — receptor clusters can direct cell movement