It’s still easy to think we’re in control when browsing the internet, but a new study argues much of that is “an illusion.” Corporations are “nudging” us online more than we realize, and often in hidden ways. Researchers analyzed clickstream data on a million people over one month of internet use to find common browsing sequences, then connected that with site and platform ownership and partnerships, as well as site design and other factors.
- Call me, maybe? UNLV study probes how people connected during the pandemic
- Comet Catalina suggests comets delivered carbon to rocky planets
- How does your brain process emotions? Answer could help address loneliness epidemic
- Small volcanic lakes tapping giant underground reservoirs
- Blind trust in social media cements conspiracy beliefs