Practices of the poultry industry have raised ethical and ecological concerns: ethical concerns include culling day-old male chicks of egg-laying breeds; ecological concerns include importing large quantities of soybeans for feedstuff. Researchers at Göttingen University looked at using a regional crop – like broad beans – and dual-purpose chicken breeds (suitable for both meat and egg-laying). They found that these were both suitable alternatives, which did not impact the quality of chicken meat. Results were published in Foods.
- Rapid method of isolating tumor-targeting T cells could propel personalized cancer treatment
- Bat-winged dinosaurs that could glide
- Tracer molecule may improve imaging tests for brain injury
- Details about broadly neutralizing antibodies provide insights for universal flu vaccine
- ‘Mini-lungs’ reveal early stages of SARS-CoV-2 infection