New research finds that medication for high blood pressure could improve Covid-19 survival rates and reduce the severity of infection.Researchers studied 28,000 patients taking antihypertensives – a class of drugs that are used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).They found that the risk of severe Covid-19 illness and death was reduced for patients with high blood pressure who were taking Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme inhibitors (ACEi) or Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARB).
- A new strategy of cell entry for some types of parvoviruses
- Climate pledges ‘like tackling COVID-19 without social distancing’
- Provide shady spots to protect butterflies from climate change, say scientists
- Sweet success: Heavy consumption of sugary beverages declined in the US from 2003 to 2016
- Sky islands and tropical alpine sunflowers at risk of disappearing