Analysis of ACE2, the main receptor that SARS-CoV-2 uses to bind and enter cells, across 410 vertebrate species reveals that many are potentially susceptible to infection by the novel coronavirus. They include a number of endangered and threatened species, notably apes and old world primates. The study could also reveal potential intermediate hosts and animal models for the virus.
- Better diet and glucose uptake in the brain lead to longer life in fruit flies
- Rapid blood test identifies COVID-19 patients at high risk of severe disease
- New study connects religiosity in US South Asians to cardiovascular disease
- USask study finds COVID isolation worsens student diets, inactivity, and alcohol intake
- Scientists offer road map to improve environmental observations in the Indian Ocean