Researchers from Aarhus University challenge one of the cornerstones of biochemistry, the Michaelis-Menten equation. They show that many enzymes in signalling pathways are independent of substrate concentration, because the substrate is physically connected to the enzyme. With these results, it may one day be possible to develop drugs that not only target the enzyme, but also affect how it is connected to its substrate.
- Mathematics: Modelling the timings of a COVID-19 second wave in Europe
- New materials: A toggle switch for catalysis
- Placing barthelonids on the tree of life
- Battery fires: Industry and research must work together for safer batteries
- New tool mimics human skin to allow detailed study of mosquito biting