How complete is our census of the Sun’s closest neighbors? Astronomers using NSF’s NOIRLab facilities and a team of data-sleuthing volunteers participating in Backyard Worlds: Planet 9, a citizen science project, have discovered roughly 100 cool worlds near the Sun — objects more massive than planets but lighter than stars, known as brown dwarfs. Several of these newly discovered worlds are among the very coolest known, with a few approaching the temperature of Earth — cool enough to harbor water clouds.
- Special interests can be assets for youth with autism
- Controlling chemical catalysts with sculpted light
- US fishing and seafood industries saw broad declines last summer due to COVID-19
- New study compiles four years of corn loss data from 26 states and Ontario, Canada
- NIH scientists identify nutrient that helps prevent bacterial infection