A CIRES-led team has uncovered a critical connection between winds at Earth’s equator and atmospheric waves 6,000 miles away at the South Pole. The team has found, for the first time, evidence of a Quasi-Biennial Oscillation (QBO) — an atmospheric circulation pattern that originates at the equator–at McMurdo, Antarctica.
- Protein molecules in cells function as miniature antennas
- Unexpected finding reveals new target for aggressive form of lung cancer
- Operations on screen: Creating an accessible surgery simulator
- Brexit opens the door to tougher anti-smoking measures
- Discovery of plant amyloids could help create varieties with improved seed quality