The periodic system contains 118 chemical elements. However, only a few of them are of major importance in our daily lives. An international research group from Germany and Finland discovered astonishing and beautiful molecular structures when they used the element tellurium in ring-shaped hydrocarbon molecules. These compounds are distinguished by the fact that they are arranged in the crystal to form highly symmetrical tubes that interact with each other via the tellurium atoms.
- Engineered ‘off the shelf’ stem cells target breast cancer that metastasizes to the brain
- Instrument at BESSY II shows how light activates MoS2 layers to become catalysts
- The future of contactless care: robotic systems gain patient approval
- Molecular mechanisms identified in chronic skin inflammation
- BCAS3-C16orf70 complex is a new actor on the mammalian autophagic machinery