In efforts to automatically capture important data from scientific papers, computer scientists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) have developed a method that can accurately detect small, geometric objects such as triangles within dense, low-quality plots contained in image data. Employing a neural network approach designed to detect patterns, the NIST model has many possible applications in modern life.
- Fast-moving gas flowing away from young star caused by icy comet vaporisation
- COVID-19 studies should also focus on mucosal immunity, researchers argue
- Measuring broken hearts: divorce has negative effects on physical and mental health
- Scientists reveal regions of the brain where serotonin promotes patience
- Mine ponds amplify mercury risks in Peru’s Amazon