Using smaller and less expensive versions of the same specialist equipment found in state-of-the-art microbiology laboratories, a new ‘lab in a suitcase’ developed by academics at Newcastle University,UK, and believed to be a world first, enables screening of millions of bacteria in a single water sample. The kit has already been used to analyse samples from the Akaki rive, Ethiopia, where pathogens were found that can cause diarrhoea – still a leading cause of death among children under the age of five.
- Oncotarget: Survival after resection of brain metastases: A matched cohort analysis
- Indian and Pakistani women diagnosed with more aggressive breast cancer at younger age
- Oncotarget: Evaluation of cellular alteration & inflammatory profile of cells
- Cause of Alzheimer’s disease traced to mutation in common enzyme
- Elkhorn coral actively fighting off diseases on reef, study finds