The Via Pontica, an important migration route for birds in Eastern Europe, runs along the Black Sea coast of Romania and Bulgaria. Bats also use this route. In this region, numerous wind farms have been installed in recent years because of good wind conditions. A Romanian research team with the Leibniz-IZW in Berlin demonstrated that this leads to high death rates of migrating bats and potentially large declines even in populations living in other countries.
- Paper: Congress must clarify limits of gene-editing technologies
- Palliative care needed across China for everyone who needs it — study
- Legacy pollutants found in migratory terns in Great Lakes region
- The soft power concept of German energy foreign policy
- Bronze Age herders were less mobile than previously thought