Extreme space weather events can significantly impact systems such as satellites, communications systems, power distribution and aviation. They are driven by solar activity which is known to have an irregular but roughly 11 year cycle. By devising a new, regular ‘sun clock’, researchers have found that the switch on and off of periods of high solar activity is quite sharp, and are able to determine the switch on/off times.
- Light pollution may increase biting behavior at night in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes
- Tradition of petrified birds in the Dome of the Rock
- One way to prevent cancer: map the fundamentals of how cells go awry
- How initiatives empowering employees can backfire
- Hot-button words trigger conservatives and liberals differently