The widely applied descriptors for ion-π interactions are the quadrupole moment, electrostatic potential and the polarizability of the π systems. These models treat ions as point charges, leading to the lack of information from the ions, which can be especially problematic for the multi-shaped ions. Here, Xu’s group proposes a new descriptor-the orbital electrostatic energy (OEE), which describes the electrostatic properties of both ions and π systems in detail via electron density distributions on orbitals.
- Breakthrough in studying ancient DNA from Doggerland that separates the UK from Europe
- A “feeling” for dementia?
- ENSO influences trans-Pacific ozone transport from vegetation fires in Southeast Asia
- Polymers self-assembling like links of a chain for innovative materials
- Solid-state intramolecular motions in continuous fibers for fluorescent humidity sensor