Gesturing with the hands while speaking is a common human behavior, but no one knows why we do it. Now, a group of UConn researchers reports in the May 11 issue of PNAS that gesturing adds emphasis to speech–but not in the way researchers had thought.
- Gall fly outmaneuvers host plant in game of “Spy vs. Spy”
- Black individuals at higher risk for contracting COVID-19, according to new research
- Chatbots can ease medical providers’ burden, offer guidance to those with COVID-19 symptoms
- Using electricity to break down pollutants left over after wastewater treatment
- Extreme rainfall events cause top-heavy aquatic food webs