The construction sector accounts for a quarter of carbon dioxide emissions, in Sweden and globally. Researchers from Chalmers University of Technology and the University of Gothenburg studied the construction of an eight km stretch of road and calculated how emissions could be reduced now and by 2045, looking at everything from materials choice, production technology, supply chains and transport.
- Data transfer system connects silicon chips with a hair’s-width cable
- Scientists suggested using ‘defective’ diamonds in x-ray optics
- ‘Micropopulism’ may be turning education into a battlefield in the culture wars
- Flu vaccination this season likely to be highest ever
- Pushing computing to the edge by rethinking microchips’ design