Through a combination of lab and field experiments, researchers have developed a better understanding of the factors accounting for different wood decomposition rates among fungi. The new findings reveal how an understanding of fungal trait variation can improve the predictive ability of early and mid-stage wood decay, a critical driver of the global carbon cycle.
- ‘Micropopulism’ may be turning education into a battlefield in the culture wars
- Flu vaccination this season likely to be highest ever
- Pushing computing to the edge by rethinking microchips’ design
- A gene provides both protection and destruction
- Study finds digital treatment for osteoarthritis is superior to traditional routine care