A technique for studying individual circuits in the brains of mice has been hampered because the light needed to stimulate neural activity briefly overwhelms the electrodes ‘listening’ for the response. Now, improved shielding within the neural probe enables those lost signals to be captured.
- Fungi strengthen plants to fend off aphids
- Highly efficient grid-scale electricity storage at fifth of cost
- Flowery diets help predatory insects help farmers keep pests in check
- Chimpanzee friends fight together to battle rivals
- A study explores the alteration of the functional dynamics of the human brain associated with ageing