Researchers at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) have used the infrastructure of the former TAMA300 gravitational wave detector in Mitaka, Tokyo to demonstrate a new technique to reduce quantum noise in detectors. This new technique will help increase the sensitivity of the detectors comprising a collaborative worldwide gravitational wave network, allowing them to observe fainter waves.
- ‘Best’ hospitals should be required to deliver tobacco treatment
- Suspension of fertility treatments during COVID-19 has mental health impacts
- 40% of O’ahu, Hawai’i beaches could be lost by mid-century
- E. coli bacteria offer path to improving photosynthesis
- Hyperbolic metamaterials exhibit 2T physics