The loss of insulin-secreting beta cells by autoimmune destruction leads to type 1 diabetes. Clinical islet cell transplantation has the potential to cure diabetes, but donor pancreases are rare. In a new study, a group of researchers developed an improved pluripotent stem cell differentiation protocol to generate beta cells in vitro with superior glucose response and insulin secretion. This is a major step towards beta cell replacement therapy.
- New drug combination shows promise as powerful treatment for AML
- Childhood neglect leaves generational imprint
- New approach emerges to better classify, treat brain tumors
- Certain parenting behaviors associated with positive changes in well-being during COVID-19 pandemic
- Do children view punishment as rehabilitative? A new study takes a look