A new approach to monitoring the novel coronavirus, (as well as other dangerous pathogens and chemical agents), is being developed and refined. Known as wastewater-based epidemiology (WBE), the method mines sewage samples for vital clues about human health. It can potentially identify levels of coronavirus infection at both a local and global scale.
- Mount Sinai researchers build models using machine learning technique to enhance predictions of COVID-19 outcomes
- Eliminating microplastics in wastewater directly at the source
- Vermont’s BIPOC drivers are most likely to have a run-in with police, study shows
- Many parents say teens with anxiety, depression may benefit from peer confidants at school
- Where COVID-19 hit hardest, sudden deaths outside the hospital increased