New research due to be presented at this year’s European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID) has identified genetically identical multidrug-resistant bacteria in humans and their pets, suggesting human-animal transfer is possible in this context. However only a small number of cases were found, suggesting this is not a major source of antibiotic-resistant infections in humans.
- Fungi strengthen plants to fend off aphids
- Highly efficient grid-scale electricity storage at fifth of cost
- Flowery diets help predatory insects help farmers keep pests in check
- Chimpanzee friends fight together to battle rivals
- A study explores the alteration of the functional dynamics of the human brain associated with ageing