Evolutionary biology aims to explain how new species arise and evolve to occupy myriad niches — but it is not a singular or simplistic story. Rare bees found in high mountain areas of Fiji provide evidence that they have evolved into many species, despite the fact they can’t readily adapt to different habitats. These bees — discovered by a team of Australian researchers — serve as a major warning about the impact of ongoing human-induced climate change and loss of biodiversity for different species.
- Vermont’s BIPOC drivers are most likely to have a run-in with police, study shows
- Many parents say teens with anxiety, depression may benefit from peer confidants at school
- Where COVID-19 hit hardest, sudden deaths outside the hospital increased
- Scientists shed light on how and why some people report “hearing the dead”
- Changing diets — not less physical activity — may best explain childhood obesity crisis